Boxelder bugs live primarily on the seed-bearing boxelder tree (the female tree) and sometimes on maple and ash trees. If a boxelder bug makes its way inside your home, be careful not to squash it; you may find that you’ve unleashed a real stink.
There are three stages in a boxelder bug’s life:
- The female lays straw-yellow colored eggs which turn red over time.
- The nymphs that emerge are 1/16 inch long and bright red.
- Adults are ½ inch long and flattened on top. They are dark brown or black in color and have red lines behind their heads and along their sides and wings.
Boxelder bugs feed on the fluid of the leaves of their preferred trees but don’t usually cause much damage to them. They also aren’t harmful to humans because they don’t sting or carry disease.
Boxelder bugs can be a nuisance in winter though, since they look for warm places to live, such as inside your walls or your siding. Although they’re inactive during this time—they don’t feed or reproduce—the higher temperatures in your home may encourage them to come out and explore. Fortunately, the boxelder bugs will leave for the outdoors when spring comes.
As a Home Protection Plan customer, if you’re not satisfied with our pest control service, we will service your home at no additional cost until your issue is solved or receive your money back from your last scheduled service.
If you don’t like the idea of boxelder bugs using your home as a winter hotel, you can try eliminating them by vacuuming them up. To prevent them from coming inside:
- Remove wood piles, rocks, etc. from around your home
- Seal around doors and windows
- Screen off attic and dryer vents
- Repair screens
- Remove female boxelder trees
Call Brody Brothers for Boxelder Bug Removal in the Baltimore Area
You don’t have to handle this bug problem on your own. If you notice these pests crawling around your home, turn to the experts. Our team of pest control professionals is highly trained and ready to eliminate these pests from your property as soon as possible.
To schedule boxelder bug removal in the Baltimore, MD area, give Brody Brothers a call at (410) 653-2121 or contact us online!